Covanta is a world leader in sustainable waste management and renewable energy. Covanta's 45 Energy-from-Waste (EfW) facilities provide communities and businesses around the world with an environmentally sound solution to their solid waste disposal needs by using waste to generate clean, renewable energy. Covanta is a listed company under the symbol CVA.
Annually, Covanta's modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely and securely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste into 9 million megawatt hours of clean renewable electricity and almost 9 billion pounds of steam that are sold to a variety of industries. Covanta's facilities also recover 400,000 tons of metal per year for recycling.
To learn more about how Covanta's facilities provide sustainable waste management for the communities it serves, visit www.covanta.com.
Information on our facilities is available at http://www.covanta.com/facilities.aspx.
For career opportunities, visit http://www.covanta.com/careers.
Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reporting to the VP of Safety and Health, the Regional Safety Manager (RSM) maintains the health and safety regulatory compliance and program performance at operating facilities through the West Region (includes CA, HI, MI, MN, OR, Canada).
Set quarterly facility improvement plans for each facility in region, in conjunction with Regional VP of Operations and Facility Manager, for reduction of accidents, days since last OSHA recordable, maintenance of workers compensation costs, management of industrial hygiene monitoring programs and related medical surveillance programs, implementation of regulatory/Corporate programs and safety program budget costs.
Develop new corporate programs and conduct annual facility audits outside the assigned region including implementation of the Covanta STEP-UP Program.
Foster the success of programming through strong relationship with the facility/regional staffs, including the Regional VP, the facility manager and the facility safety coordinator.
Complete quarterly snapshot audits at each facility and track/report per incentive programs
Assist the facility safety coordinator with preparation of training materials and coordination of weekly and monthly safety themes, completion of accident reports and generation of monthly accident statistics.
Identify safety deficiencies while providing a means for cost effective corrective action.
Attend and teach training courses in the field of industrial hygiene, PPE requirements, safety investigation, and first aid and CPR techniques as well as trained in database use and input.
- Safety expenditures;
- Coordination/ tracking of medical surveillance program and lead exposure hours (using EEMFs);
- Researching special topics/equipment needs;
- Outage planning and oversight/participation;
- Industrial hygiene sampling, analysis and reporting data base tracking;
- Accident investigation;
- Fit testing;
- JSA hazard identification; ergonomics evaluations and design changes;
- Hazard control evaluation;
- Program evaluation;
- Active communication;
- Evaluation of PPE selection;
- Near miss reporting.
- Bachelor in Occupational Health & Safety or similar degree in science, engineering, industrial hygiene
- Graduate degree preferred
PREFERRED: CSP, CIH and or ARM
Travel - About 75%
Skills & Knowledge
- Word processing, database, spreadsheet and PowerPoint skills
- Knowledge of OSHA, ANSI, ASME, NFPA and DOT regulations and requirements
- Excellent statistical and analytical skills
- Minimum of eight (8) years experience in the ‘health and safety/Experience with OSHA, ANSI, ASME, NFPA and DOT regulations and requirements