Operations & Maintenance Technician I
To apply visit: www.southwestgen.com/careers/openings
Senior-level position responsible for start, stop and monitoring of equipment. Uses computers and monitoring equipment to measure, record and make adjustments within operating parameters. Performs a variety of plant maintenance tasks including diagnosis, maintenance and repair of mechanical and electrical equipment in a safe and efficient manner. Ensures compliance with all local, State and Federal regulations and plant procedures. The Pio Pico facility is a highly efficient, simple cycle gas turbine facility utilizing state-of-the-art GE LMS100 technology. This position reports to the O&M Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of complex technical services/support duties requiring specialized operational knowledge.
- Regularly makes decisions on non-routine or escalated technical issues.
- Responsible to meet contract sales agreement within safe, reliable, and efficient equipment operational limitations during his/her shift.
- Independently prioritizes and executes responsibilities.
- Reviews own work and possibly the work of others; work results are the highest quality standards and advanced technical competency.
- Resolves the most complex technical issues, conferring with management occasionally; may serve as a resource to others in resolution of complex issues.
- Works under limited to no supervision.
- Prepares, maintains and provides a variety of reports/documents as required or upon request.
- Ensures strict adherence to all safety and environmental procedures.
- Communicates condition of plant systems, equipment and pertinent information to others.
- Interpret and respond to visual and auditory signals from control panel.
- Perform control room and outside operation of all station equipment and systems during routine, abnormal, and emergency operations.
- Position requires a qualification process to demonstrate ability to properly and safely operate the power plant.
- Perform start-up, operation, monitoring, shutdown and lock-out of plant auxiliary equipment at the equipment location.
- Operate all plant mobile equipment, forklift, man lift, etc.
- Perform chemical analysis on plant water systems which include demineralized water, cooling water, waste water and raw water.
- Operate and perform routine maintenance water plant systems.
- Perform maintenance and upkeep of site buildings and grounds.
- Ensure adequate supply of oil and chemicals are available to support plant operation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills and possess the ability to learn.
- Strong mechanical aptitude with an advanced understanding of chemistry, physics, electricity and mathematics.
- Ability to follow both verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to interact and communicate well with individuals in all areas of the company and outside vendors.
- Ability to demonstrate basic computer knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point and various other programs.
- Ability to provide work direction and training to small groups of employees in a professional and accurate manner.
- Ability and willingness to read and interpret blueprints, schematic diagrams, procedures and technical manuals.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma, degree from a technical/vocational school, military service or equivalent required.
- Preferred Associates degree (AA) or equivalent from a two-year college, trade school certification or advanced education in mechanical, electrical, or instrumentation or equivalent experience.
- Senior level; generally, 10+ years directly related experience including understanding of environmental & safety regulations and previous experience working as a senior level plant operator.
- Experience working with and around hazardous energy, chemicals, and waste materials.
- Requires previous experience using testing equipment & calibration appliances.
- Experience in operating GE LMS100 preferred.
- Experience in maintaining GE LMS 100 preferred.
- Experience with CISCO CEMS and Teledyne Analyzers desired.
Must be able to accomplish physical requirements with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Employee will be required to adhere to large amounts of standing, walking, bending, squatting, and lifting. May be required to lift, carry, and move up to 50 lbs. Will use arms and hands to signal, grab, hold, turn, push, and pull: objects, materials, controls and tools. Will occasionally work at heights, climb ladders, stairways, and work off of platforms. Will use vision abilities to focus, see short and long distances, colors, depth perception and peripheral vision. Will be required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to: hard hat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs/muffs, masks/respirators, safety vests, gloves and safety-toe boots.
- Able to hear (at some dB limit of loss) in order to hear plant alarms, equipment condition, and to receive oral instructions.
- Able to see to determine plant operating conditions and to avoid safety hazards.
- Performing this job without full/focused attention may cause serious injury or even fatality.
- Work is generally performed inside the power plant, but may work in all weather conditions ranging from warm/hot - cool/cold. Occasional rain. Noise levels will be moderate to high. Job site will contain light to heavy equipment vehicles, small to large equipment, materials, communication equipment and tools.
Southwest Generation is an Affirmative Action Employer, Females/Minority/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.