Southwest Generation Operations & Maintenance Manager Opening - Mankato, MN
To apply visit: https://www.southwestgen.com/careers/#openings-section
The Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Manager is responsible for providing leadership along with daily oversight, direction, and guidance to operations and maintenance within the plant. Assist the Plant Manager (PM) in ensuring achievement of key operating objectives in the areas of employee safety, employee relations, environmental, profitability, unit availability, efficiency, equipment safety and reliability in full compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, polices, and procedures. In addition, provide specialized knowledge, skills, and oversight of day-to-day plant functions. This position reports to the PM.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist PM in providing oversight of and direction to all mission critical programs and processes such as performance management, outage management, project management, asset integrity and financial management.
- Ensure high plant reliability and overall cost competitiveness, without compromise to employee safety or environmental commitments.
- Support and emphasize importance of safety and environmental programs and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Ensure the safety of all employees of the facility through elimination of injuries to employees, contractors and visitors.
- Interface with regulatory, political, business, civic and public representatives as directed by the PM or Southwest Generation (SWG) Senior Management.
- Assist in the development and administration of the O&M and Capital budgets.
- Promote productivity and teamwork with open communication, timely decision making, and use of leadership skills to set high standards of performance, while providing the direction necessary to achieve performance.
- Work under limited to no supervision.
- Independently prioritizes and executes responsibilities.
- Provide management direction in the absence of the PM.
- Oversee inventory management and procurement activities.
- Devise and implement profit improvement projects.
- Provide technical support to corporate business development and other Southwest Generation plants as needed.
- Provides direct oversight to both Operations and Maintenance Managers.
- Works with Budget Analyst and managers to develop comprehensive O&M and Capital plans.
- Ensure the plants are operated and maintained in compliance with all NERC and WECC regional standards including performing self-certifications and audits.
- Identify all permit requirements and ensure the applicable testing is performed and proper information is provided for renewing the permits as required by jurisdictional regulatory agencies.
- Prepare, maintain and provide a variety of reports/documents as required or upon request.
- Respond to plant trips and upsets as required.
- Create and support an organizational culture that encourages and rewards employee involvement, innovative thinking, adaptation to change, responsible risk taking, and continuous improvement.
- Establish responsibilities, goals and expectations of assigned employees. Monitor and provide feedback to employees to ensure daily production activities support plant goals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance of gas steam turbines and electrical generators.
- Maintain the highest standards of conduct and integrity in all dealings with or on behalf of SWG at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to lead, coach, and guide employees and understand the importance of positive employee relations.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, verbal skills that are persuasive, and the ability to promote business initiatives.
- Ability to plan, organize, schedule, and direct varied programs and tasks involved within the operations and maintenance functions.
- Must be able to read and understand control logistic diagrams, P&IDs, and other technical material pertinent to power plant operation and maintenance.
- Ability to obtain and apply knowledge of competitive business practices in daily work activities and decision making.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to anticipate and accept changes in the organization and adapt to meet new requirements.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness.
- Ability to demonstrate advanced computer knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point and various other programs.
- Ability to follow both verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in specific functional area including standards, procedures, and applicable government/environmental regulations.
- Operational knowledge of work and asset management and analytical/reporting applications.
- Effective change leader with demonstrated ability to effectively communicate company and business area strategies and objectives to a variety of stakeholders.
- Proven results at achieving performance and operational metrics and driving process adherence.
- Demonstrated understanding of utility finance.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in an engineering or related technical discipline.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in power generation field or exceptional work or military experience in a related technical field may substitute for the degree.
- Previous second-line supervisory experience (i.e. Assistant Plant Manager, O&M manager, O&M Supervisor) is preferred.
Must be able to accomplish physical requirements with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Employee will be required to adhere to large amounts of standing, walking, bending, squatting, and lifting. May be required to lift, carry, and move up to 50 lbs. Will use arms and hands to signal, grab, hold, turn, push, and pull: objects, materials, controls and tools. Will occasionally work at heights, climb ladders, stairways, and work off of platforms. Will use vision abilities to focus, see short and long distances, colors, depth perception and peripheral vision. Will be required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to: hard hat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs/muffs, masks/respirators, safety vests, gloves and steel-toe boots.
- Able to hear (at some dB limit of loss) in order to hear plant alarms, equipment condition, and to receive oral instructions.
- Able to see to determine plant operating conditions and to avoid safety hazards.
- Work is generally performed inside the power plant but may work in all weather conditions ranging from warm/hot - cool/cold. Occasional rain. Noise levels will be moderate to high. Job site will contain light to heavy equipment vehicles, small to large equipment, materials, communication equipment and tools.
Southwest Generation is an Affirmative Action Employer, Females/Minority/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply visit: https://www.southwestgen.com/careers/#openings-section